Fleet & Safety Manager - Eugene
The Fleet and Safety Manager will facilitate and provide guidance in the development, administration, and implementation of the Company’s safety programs and policies. This position will direct the work related to various fleet management activities like procurement, repairing, maintenance, servicing, etc., according to priority and ensure that all these functions are carried out within the established rules and legal requirements.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists, plans, and implements safety policies and procedures in compliance with local, state, and federal rules and regulations including Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and Department of Transportation (DOT).
- Acts as Company representative with local, state, and federal governmental agencies when it relates to environmental and safety issues. This includes, but is not limited to local fire departments, state fire marshal, OSHA and DOT.
- Support Workers’ Compensation program; including processing of claims, claims monitoring, administration and investigation; maintains contact with injured workers and evaluates the status of Workers’ Compensation cases to determine return to work status and provide updates to supervisors and managers.
- Advises senior management on safety compliance concerns and preventative actions.
- Maintains safety files and records, including driver files.
- Provide administrative and technical advice to managers and train employees to ensure safety programs are successfully implemented.
- Performs safety surveys and inspections, prepares written reports of findings and recommendations for corrective and/or preventative measures where indicated and follows up to ensure measures have been implemented.
- Conducts post-accident and/or incident investigations and prepares written report identifying possible causes and hazards for use by Company personnel and senior management.
- Arranges for, tracks and reports on testing related to Company’s drug and alcohol policy and DOT regulations.
- Strategic planning required to analyze the effectiveness of fleet operations and finding ways to cut costs.
- Responsible for the purchasing, maintaining, and disposition of all fleet equipment.
- Oversee fleet maintenance and regulatory compliance.
- Due to the safety-related nature of the position, confidential information is handled by this position, necessitating discretion at all times.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Extensive knowledge of environmental regulations and policies.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Understand vehicle systems, mechanics and technology sufficient to authorize repairs and accurately evaluate the work of employees involved in maintenance and repairs.
- Proficient in technology and equipment used in environmental inspections.
- Knowledge of Federal Motor Carrier Safety regulations.
- Strong understanding and experience in OSHA, environmental and risk assessment. Experience working with regulatory agencies, preferred.
- Ability to understand how to read a balance sheet and how to establish a departmental and fleet budget.
- Ability to understand vehicle systems, mechanics, and technology sufficient to authorize repairs.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite or similar software.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies as appropriate.
Education and/or Experience: Bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) in Environmental Safety, Occupational Safety and Health, Logistics or related field and three years related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience demonstrating operational knowledge of health and safety regulations and the transportation industry.
Must possess valid Commercial Driver’s License or obtain one within 6 months of hire date.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
We are a Drug Free Workplace. Applicants will be required to take a pre- employment drug test upon job offer.